Thursday, April 12, 2007

Kurt Vonnegut, book writer, humorist, dies

I learned my lesson last time I mentioned the death of a certain philosopher to use no wit or humor when reporting these stories. So this time, I will just link to the story from the Old Grey Lady about the death of Kurt Vonnegut. He was 84.
Here's a wonderful little note from the Times about the same author who wrote Slaughter House Five. "To Mr. Vonnegut, the only possible redemption for the madness and apparent meaninglessness of existence was human kindness." Or, as Mr. Rosewater puts it in God Bless you Mr. Rosewater, "God-damn it, you've got to be kind."


So. Mr. Vonnegut, adieu.
I found this picture on Google. It seemed appropriate.

3 comments:

czf said...

to the minute, these posts overlap. amazing. that's why we're married, i 'spose

Anonymous said...

Yes, amazing!

Anonymous said...

I began my Slaughterhouse Five unit with my American Lit students today. Discussing Vonnegut all day was like salt on a wounded heart, but timely I suppose.

In the mean time, I was re-reading parts of A Man Without a Country. I came across Mr. V's lines,
"And if I should ever die, God forbid, I hope you will say, 'Kurt is up in heaven now.' That is my favorite joke."

So it goes.