Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Cormac McCarthy wins Pulitzer


The 2007 Pulitzer prizes were anounced, and the winner for fiction is The Road, by Cormac McCarthy. I am surprised to see our beloved WH has not posted upon this over at pandas, but seeing as he has gone AWOL from the blogosphere, here it is.
From what I understand The Road is a dark, violent book, scathing at times, horrible, yet you know hopeful (some say). For example, here is a quote lifted from the review by Publisher's Weekly: "Beyond the ever-present possibility of starvation lies the threat of roving bands of cannibalistic thugs." I guess it only seems appropriate to see The Road end up on Oprah's Book List, then. If you have read The Road and want to discuss the deeper messages McCarthy finds within this dark and troubling story, please direct your comments here.


Here is a complete list of the Pulitzer Winners. (I had my money on Debbie Cenziper from the Miami Herald to win best local reporting. It was Debbie's year).

2 comments:

czf said...

"you had us at blood meridian."
Some of the classy acts over at huffpo have ranked the Hottness of this year's pulitzer winners on a scale of 1-4 moleskin notebooks. awesome.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/colleen-werthmann/gravitaschallenged-pulit_b_46091.html

whb said...

I figured I would leave it to you guys...
I am proud of my boy Cormac. I think he's fantastic.