Thursday, April 19, 2007

Erik Larson in the White City Tonight.

For those of you who live in Chicago, Erik Larson will be sharing anecdotes and 'war stories' derived from his books Devil in the White City and Thunderstruck tonight at the Crown Auditorium Theater. Admission is free and it should be a good time. Personally, I found Devil in the White City to be one of the more gripping stories I have read in the past few years. His writing brings alive that feeling of excitement that surly came with building a new city--making you feel like you just stumbled across some previously inconceivable technology. While at the same time being let in on the twisted events of one of the country's scariest mass murderers. The best part about it, it's non-fiction. And if you are fortunate enough to live in the White City while reading it, you can spend your lunch breaks looking for old Daniel Burnham buildings--and you probably aren't alone.

And speaking of going to readings, I am wondering what authors all our Luminous readers have been fortunate (or unfortunate) enough to have heard speak. I have not been to too many readings myself but I think Dave Eggars (the first time) is still my favorite.

UPDATE: For a man who has proven himself to be a master in writing about murders Erik Larson was surprisingly (and welcoming) socially adept, not to mention very funny and horrifyingly intelligent albeit not in that cocky way some people are. I had a great time, and no, not just because he called George Bush, Julius Ceaser.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

So I've really tried posting before but I must be dense because I can never get my comment to post. Anyway, I plan on reading this book - sounds very interesting. I like murderers (or at least stories about them).

Amber said...

I promise you won't regret it. After listening to him last night I can't wait for his new book to finally be avaialbe in paperback--also about a murderer.

czf said...

does anyone else find it odd how much my wife seems to like murder--in books of course, but still...

diedan said...

As far as readings I've been to where I've actually their work, the authors of note are:

Chuck Palahniuk
Mark Z. Danielewski
Bret Easton Ellis
Neil Gaiman (3 times, I think)

I've been to others, like Susanna Clarke, where I like the work, but no one else is much interested, and then I've been to a few, like Augusten Burroughs, who's work I haven't read.

diedan said...

Ooh, and I forgot about Daniel Handler aka Lemoney Snicket. That was fun.

Amber said...

Hey! Charissa seems to like murder too...if we are still talking about books here.