Wednesday, November 22, 2006

A Reading List of My Own-unless you care to join me

So. As AZF and ScarlettZ and a few others embark on the pleasures of reading The Last Temptation of Christ, I will be spending my holiday break reading for MA Comprehensive Exam. As far as reading lists go, it's not too many pages and it's not too much new material. But there is one book on the list that I will be embarrassed to have read, let alone to read it for my comp exam. See if you can pick it out.
The theme of the exam is romantic comedy--definitions and discourse on love, meanings and constructions of lover and beloved, the stakes of marriage, socially sanctioned form of affect and relationships. So. That's okay.

The List:
Much Ado About Nothing-Shakespeare
Songs and Sonnets; Elegy 19-John Donne
Pride & Prejudice-Jane Austen
Importance of Being Earnest-Oscar Wilde
Complete Love Poems-May Swenson
The Boyfriend School-Sarah Bird

Yeah.
There's also a handful of scholarship to read. Stanley Cavell, Nancy Vickers, Hawthorne, Henry James, Northrop Frye.

Seriously. You want to read my comp list with me. You know you do. When will you ever get another valid reason to read the Boyfriend School?

2 comments:

Amber said...

I personally expect a full review of The Boyfriend School, as I am sure you will be anxious to write about it.

czf said...

you know i will.
i was on amazon today looking for the donne ed i need (which by the way is unavailable, wtf?) and on the page for the donne book they offered a package deal on boyfriend school and donne.
and on the, customers who bought this also bought...list, it was only the books on the MA reading list. wild, eh? must not be many people shopping for out of print volumes of donnes poems.