Monday, November 20, 2006

Clack-Clack


Now that my quarter is over, my final papers are written and the worlds of Milton/Lillo scholarship are one step closer to perfection I have decided to read Buechner's Alphabet of Grace one more time. The rest of my winter break will be the reading list for my comp. exam. But for right now, I am loving Buechner.

You wake up out of the huge crevasses of the night and your dreaming. You get out of bed, wash and dress, eat breakfast, say goodbye and go away never maybe to return for all you know, to work, talk, lust, pray, dawdle and do, and at the end of the day, if your luck holds, you come home again, home again. Then night again. Bed. The little death of sleep, sleep of death. Morning, afternoon, evening--the hours of the day, of any day, of your day and my day. The alphabet of Grace. If there is a god who speaks anywhere, surely he speaks here.

Don't mean to get all heavy-handed and dramatic. It's just so lovely a book.

No comments: