Monday, July 03, 2006

Orange Award Announced.

I have been hearing Zadie Smith's name for all too long now to not have read anything. Well, kind of. I picked up "On Beauty" a while back in the bookstore when some friends decided to read her, but was bored before the first paragraph ended. Be it my mood, or my taste I don't know. But apparently most people disagree with me, the 2006 Winner for The Orange Award for Fiction is none other than Zadie Smith's "On Beauty." Doesn't mean I will read it, but it does mean that maybe I should reconsider.

5 comments:

Scarlet Zapata said...

I don't think you were alone in being bored. I had to read it for my book club and found it taxing and boring and even annoying. But then around page 150 it finally got good. Unfortunately, I lost my copy on a camping trip right when it got good and haven't gone and finished it yet.
I will say that every time I read a book about academia, it gives me a resolve to not want to be around those people in any way, shape, or form...

Anonymous said...

White Teeth was one of those precocious works that comes along once in our lifetime; however, I can't vouch for her later stuff. Salman Rushdie--not too bad himself--was praising her endlessly in the early part of the millennium.

Amber said...

I have been interested in reading "White Teeth" for a while now. I suppose, with praise from both Bryant AND Salman Rushdie I should push it up to the top of the reading list.

czf said...

accorinding to the times, on beauty should have won the booker, too.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,923-2249529,00.html

Amber said...

Should have won...despite the fact that it wasn't finished for the deadline...