Tuesday, July 18, 2006

My many books...




I started Under The Banner of Heaven (no worries, I'm reading it along side The Red and The Black) by John Krakauer, whom I had a major literary crush on my senior year of high school. It turns out he’s just as amazing to read all these years later. As for the book, if you don't know about it already, it’s about Mormon Fundamentalists and the practice of polygamy (very broad overview). I’m wondering what you opinions are on the subject. Is it okay to practice polygamy? What about the children of polygamists? And if the children choose to partake in this behavior when they are adults is it okay, or is the ability to choose not an ability they ever had because they were raised this way?

10 comments:

Scarlet Zapata said...

OMG you have to finish this book as soon as possible!!!!! This was my #1 favorite conversation topic of 2005 (sparked by the documentary Colorado City and the Underground Railroad, which inspired me to read this). But I want to wait until you've read more before saying too much because I really alienated most of my friends and family last summer by unceasingly spouting tantalizing trivia about Mormon Fundamentalism and American polygamy...

Amber said...

Don't worry, I will read it as fast as I can. And are you telling me there is a documentary that I might want to watch in accompaniment with the book?

Does anyone else who hasn't read the book have an opinion about pologmy?

Scarlet Zapata said...

Who DOESN"T have an opinion about polygamy, Amber?

I saw some kind of news special after the documentary, which was produced by HBO. Krakauer was actually interviewed on the special because he adopted one or two of the "lost boys" of Colorado City. For those who don't know, these are youngish boys and teenagers who are run out of polygamous towns because they are apparently just too much competition for the town elders who happen to be in the market for a gazillion teenage wives. Shudder....

big al said...

the state of utah outlawed me for the same reason, not because of these guns(flexing) like you'ld suppose as nevada did... you know what i'm talking about... nevada...

whb said...

Don't you guys know that once the liberal/gay/commie/etc. agenda has made us all gay, they're going to make us all polygamist gays who might try to marry our dogs?
Sinners.

whb said...

oh and I'm against polygamy.

Scarlet Zapata said...

http://www.rickross.com/reference/polygamy/polygamy279.html

Scarlet Zapata said...

oh and also, for those of you who haven't made up your minds yet...

www.polygamy.com

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»