Wednesday, March 28, 2007

In case you haven't already read

The Road by Cormac McCarthy, now is your chance. Oprah has made it her most recent book club pick. Dear oh dear she annoys the crap out of me...

And if you live in Chicago (or Illinois in general) the new One Book, One Chicago pick has been selected: Go Tell It On The Mountain by James Baldwin. I haven't previously participated in One Book, One Chicago-- but I plan to this time around and I am awfully excited about it. It has proven in the past to be a great way to unite our large and diverse city AND Chicago (i.e. Daley) sponsors all sorts of great (AND FREE) lectures and films surrounding the book pick. (Truth be told, I don't think anyone in Chicago reads this blog--so mostly I am writing to express how excited I am to read this book.)


And another book club option , which can have a bit of action via luminous if you are so interested, White Noise by Don DeLillo. I am reading the book here in my home city with a few other friends who also haven't read it yet, I think we are the last people alive to have not read it, which leaves me hoping many of you will have all sorts of opinions about it.

8 comments:

diedan said...

White Noise = Overrated

How's that for an opening opinion? I really just didn't understand what all the hype was about.

Amber said...

Thats an interesting opinion. Being that I have just started it I can't say one way or another, but it would have to be fucking amazing to live up to all the talk I have heard over the years.

czf said...

it is fucking amazing.
so don't worry. what's up now diedan?

the ending is contrived. i'll give you that one.

diedan said...

Really? The very end and the middle were the only parts I actually enjoyed. That random, two-page chapter crap at the beginning was what I really hated. "But it's about disconnection." Yeah, or it's just annoying.

Really, though, I think I could have really loved this book and still called it overrated. Unless it starts printing money and creating world peace, it's never going to live up to its hype.

czf said...

i guess i don't know who hyped it. no one was out there running around saying jesus jesus you have to read white noise.

diedan said...

Oh I'm pretty sure people were. When everyone was at Bethel was reading that book, all people could talk about was how White Noise was better than Jesus.

Amber said...

Yeah! Remember that chapel when Sherry Mortenson kept yelling, "DeLillo not DeJesus!"

czf said...

actually, no. i don't remember that. but...you went to chapel? you're so jesusy.