Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The Year of Magical Thinking

I picked up Joan Didion's most recent work this past weekend, The Year of Magical Thinking, and basically plowed through it. I found the book very moving and comforting, but how could you not? Its so personal and about such a difficult subject. I suppose the big shocker for me was that someone could have the ability to give others such a detailed inside look at their grief. In this case, it seems very self sacrificing--I suppose I think that because so many of the people who will pick it will be doing so because they need something to relate to, but personally I just don't know how she did it.

Here is an interview with Didion if you are interested.

1 comment:

Amber said...

I didn't think it possible to make this post more depressing but I just discovered that Didion's only daughter died right after the novel was published, this world is seriously fucked up.