Thursday, May 03, 2007

The Yiddish Policemen's Union

I did not know until today that Micahel Chabon had a new book, The Yiddish Policemen's Union, and it's even out in paperback! How sad. Some of you, I know, met Chabon a few years back, I know this because I was there with you. But if you weren't so lucky, Borders has a online book club thingy, of which their latest pick was The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Mr. Chabon, and you can watch the whole event unravel right at your desk while at the same time getting all the Chabon you ever wanted. (Side note: His facial expressions are much more notable when you can actually see his face.) Still, the new book sounds dramatic and steamy and very Chabonish. It takes place in Alaska during and following WWII. The questions he is asking, "How different would the world be today if we had allowed all those persecuted Jews populate Alaska until the war was over?" So, read it and report back already would ya? Or maybe you have already read it, it has been out for a while after all.

Oh and thanks to the internet I found Chabon's personal calender, it turns out he is going to be doing a reading in Chicago soon. That is Mon May 21 6pm @ the Chicago Public Library, 400 S State St, Chicago, IL . Be there, or else.

Okay fine, if you live in Minnesota and you do not want to drive down and attend the event with the ZF's you can still see Chabon. He will be at the Fitzgerald Theater, 10 E. Exchange Street, St. Paul on Tue May 22 @ 7pm.

**Chabon on the mind** Terry Gross interviews Michael Chabon today on Fresh Air. You can stream the episode at the shows website.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

how did you find his personal calendar? you really are a whiz with the internet.

Amber said...

I'm sorry. I can't reveal my secret savvy ways...

Anonymous said...

Do you guys ever visit the chicago cultural center? There are some great shows there. By shows, I mean art exhibitions. Do you ever check out the art in chicago? And, by the way, its free. If you need recommendation, I might make some.

czf said...

i started another blog. for the money.

rememberthemidwest.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I'm a fan of the cultural center. It is usually free.

Amber said...

Okay. Okay. Yes, we have been to the cultural center, its amazing! Beautiful! Breathtaking! I had an interview there last year, but I stupidly didn't go because I got offered a crappy job elsewhere (obviously I didn't know it was crappy when I took it.) And my museum (this year) is hosting a print fair at the cultural center this fall. It should be awesome.