Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Trilogies...and Other Multi-Book Series.


Last year I read my first multi-book series. I realize this is absurd, 26 is too old to first pick up a series book, particularly when you are an avid reader. Which leads to another confession. Most of my life I have been hung up on classics. I really like them, and there are so many of them you can go on reading them forever. So when that's all you read you don't really realize how much work they are. You don't really get that books can have a more pure element of joy and fun to them. You get snobby and you think why would I bother reading that when I still have all these other books to read....

Anyway, that ended last summer when I was convinced to pick Harry Potter, we all know I did this begrudgingly, and then I loved it. And then I went crazy with series'. Twilight. Sookie Stackhouse. Outlander. And yesterday I finally picked up Lord of the Rings. All this to say, I am hooked. So when I saw that Abe books put out a Top 10 Trilogies list, I thought, I must put this up on Luminous (okay, yes, there are other factors too, living in a new city, no job, lots of reading time and all those 10 best lists going on over at Panda's...still.) So here is what they say are the 10 best. Most of these I don't even know:

1. Nick Bantock's Griffin & Sabine
2. Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials
3. Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast
4.
Robertson Davies' Deptford
5. Louis de Bernieres' Latin America
6. Paul Auster's New York
7. Phillip Kerr's Berlin Noir
8. Roddy Doyle's Barrytown
9. Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars
10. Peter Dickinson's The Changes

So tell me, what are your 10 best...multi-book series?

1 comment:

czf said...

his dark materials is high on the list. Why isn't LOTR there? Because it's really only one book?

But number one on my list is Evelyn Waugh's Sword of Honor Trilogy (Men At Arms, Officers and Gentlemen, Unconditional Surrender).
It's awesome.