Thursday, August 28, 2008

Harry Potter Book Club?

Let me take you back two years: It's the summer of 2006 and I am a few years out of undergrad and desperate for a dialogue about books. After much arm twisting to get a book club going and still no compliance on the part of my loved ones (I even tried to sneakily read books that friends were reading, books I had no interest in, just so I could talk to someone about books) I started this here blog. I figured, this way I could process what I was thinking about and maybe, just maybe, someone would come along who had read or was reading the book and talk to me. For the most part its been a success.

Now, part two. Harry Potter (henceforth referred to as HP). I read the first two HP books a long long time ago. Like in the late 90's. And, well, this was before the craze and I just did not get that into them. Years go by and slowly HP creeps into EVERYONE'S LIFE. But I refuse to partake, because I tried, and we did not work, and that was enough for me.

So along comes a certain friend, who shall remaine anonymous, with a sneaky little idea. The friend tells me he wants to start a book club, obviously I am giddy with joy, as he predicted. "What shall we read?" I wonder aloud. I should have seen it coming. "Harry Potter." Dang it! What is a girl to do? She has no choice. So I am in a Harry Potter book club. We have already meet once, for the first book, after which we watched the movie. I'm was probably the most negative. But it was really great anyway.

We are meeting again for discussion of books 2 & 3 next weekend. And, believe it or not, I've read both the books already. And even started the fourth one prematurely. Suffice it to say, I've moved past the poor writing and am totally into the story. I LIKE HARRY POTTER! Who woulda thought?

Now here is a fun little video for you to enjoy:

2 comments:

Ann said...

omg! I think we have to play that video at our meeting on Friday! It's hilarious!

I never thought I'd be a HP fan, either. But then again, I never thought I'd like historical fiction/romance either. I guess a good story is hard to pass up.

Anonymous said...

harry for veep in 2016. did anyone here see the cover of Details featuring young radcliffe? yow-za.

http://men.style.com/details/