Wednesday, December 12, 2007

preserving history one page at a time


Believe it or not I have finished my first full semester of grad school (I'm still in the not period). And to celebrate I've decided to post on Luminous. Why? Well, because I can, thats why.

So here is something I thought you might be interested in. In doing research for my literature review I came across Project Gutenberg an online book catalog that allows you to download books. Its pretty great, if you are into that sort of thing. I used it to look up some rather obscure books, so I can only imagine they have some more popular picks as well...though I can't confirm this as of now. If you support the project they could use your help editing their books...the objective is the more people proof reading, the more books they will be able to make public. If you are interested follow the hypertext.

Thanks again to all of you for continuing to visit luminous in my absence. You are much appreciated. Now I am off to pick up my first novel in months!! Woohoo!!

11 comments:

czf said...

welcome back. i don't have to feel all that posting pressure for a few weeks.

Amber said...

to get to relaxed. i will vanish again in a month.

czf said...

p.s. that picture is hilarious.

big al said...

what are you going to read first?

Amber said...

I've decided to read I Am Legend, first. I read the first 20 pages on the train this morning and really enjoyed it!

TomFool said...

Yeah, I just finished I am Legend on the train this morning. CZF, were there four or five random chapters at the end of your edition that seemed to have nothing to do with the main story? I was very confused and it made me disappointed with the ending.

Anonymous said...

My edition had those as well, I think the book is a collection of short stories with I Am Legend as the headliner.

czf said...

true. legend is a short novel accompanied by other stories.

big al said...

you both should check out persepolis by marjane satrapi. it is a graphic novel (creative non-fiction). i just read it today it was great.

Anonymous said...

Good call -- that's also coming out in independent theaters soon, so I need to read it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persepolis_%28film%29

Anonymous said...

If you're into Gutenberg, check out librivox.org, where you can have classic works read to you by amateurs. It's the poor woman or man's book on tape!