Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Part II of III: Some Books I'm Reading:

Another important subject that I have not covered in a while, the currently reading list:

Stereotypically I never read more than one book at a time unless I am in school, I usually find that I get caught up in one and disregard the others, but lately this problem hasn't been bothering me so much. That or I've become a much better multi-reading-tasker. And I also find that I read more books outside of the literature genre if I read several books at a time, which is very nice. So as of right now...

Library: An Unquiet History; Matthew Battles: Yet another book that I discovered when looking through Mrs. Osborn's shelf. You can all guess why I decided to read it, I'm sure. Right now I am about half way through it and have found that I should probably be reading "The Idiot's Guide to World History" along side it, but alas you will not find that on my list. It is fun to be learning so much though. I'm also highly surprised at how well Battles, who works for the Widener Library at Harvard, pretty much convinces you that the Library is basically the center of everything. Here I was thinking I was the center of everything....

The Last Temptation of Christ; Nikos Kazantzakis: I know this one was posted on quite some time ago, and some of you have even picked it up and read the whole thing since then, but good news: I too have finally started it. Honestly, I wasn't the least bit excited to read it. I've heard the gospel stories, I've even read them (that's right, Bethel!). BUT much to my surprise, I'm really loving it. Now, I'm only 70 pages or so into it but I like that Christ has such a hard time with God and doesn't want anything to do with him. I know its fiction but it's changed my stagnant view of Christ a bit, and makes him much more relateable.




***In addition, I've decided to add a new feature to the blog. That is putting up pictures of the books I am currently reading in a side bar, so you can stay updated and I don't have to bore you with talking about them before I have ever finished reading them.***

3 comments:

Ann said...

I may have already mentioned this to you in person Amber, but I'll reiterate that I quite honestly was a tad bored with The Last Temptation at times (those times when i felt like i was reading from the bible), but the ending is quite amazing.

Does your version have a little bio on Kazantzakis? If so, be sure to read it, as his spiritual journey is quite fascinating.

czf said...

libraries are the center of everything.
oh man, you are going to love eco's name of the rose.
am i right people, i mean, come on, am i right?

Anonymous said...

i want more pink wig pictures