Friday, August 18, 2006

On Beauty

So I just finished On Beauty, and while it took quite awhile for me to get into it, by the end I was very invested. And I agree with I think it was Big Al who said that the ending was perfect. It was. Very right in the moment, without resolution, but instead clarity, the letting go of the need for resolution. Who else has read this? Despite my initial doubts, I was also convinced that it really was a good book by how much I was aggravated and piqued by Howard Belsey. I have rarely felt such an inflamed emotional response to the personal injustice of a character's astonishing egocentrism as I did with that man (my sense of injustice was, however, occasionally soothed by the gratifying fights between him and his fantastic wife Kiki). Although it was interesting how a man who harbors such anxiety and distrust over the representation of humans in art, etc, is yet so incapable of comprehending the real human weight of anyone outside of himself.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Hmmm, maybe I will be more inclined to pick up the book after this rave review...maybe.